Drag Strip Deaths

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > John Lovatt's death

Bucko
Site Owner

I did know John. He was running a econo-altered with a small block Chevy. It was a Mark Williams altered kit car.The story I got from people that were at E-Town was the weld on the left rear shock mount failed. The car locked the left slick. It spun and flipped many times. The roll cage welds also failed and it came off. He was killed instantly. The NJ state police impounded the car.  I do not have any clippings. He had a sister that handled his estate. Maybe she could help with further info. Maybe the track at E-Town would release info? Richard

PS: Mel thanks for doing this. I have wondered why it was not done until now.

(Richard Deschner, e-mail communication to site administrator, March 5, 2010)

March 8, 2010 at 10:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

locaste

I knew John personally, spending many a night burning the midnight oil in his Farmingdale, NY machine shop. I remember him as a stickler for discipline and attention to detail. Not the easiest guy to warm up to but as you understood where he was coming from, there was no choice but to respect him. I eventually brought a friend to his shop whom he shortly thereafter hired. I still have an unused Chevrolet engine that he did, on a stand in my garage. I remember his white 1963 tube chassis split-window Corvette and I believe that this car is still around collecting dust in someone's garage somewhere locally. It is disappointing to learn that he met his demise via weld failures in his econo car.

locaste

(Babylon)

March 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.