Drag Strip Deaths

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dave Zachary, Cadillac Funny Car

Mel Bashore
Site Owner

Dave Zachary ran the Eldorado with a 427 injected Chevy at first. Franz Costello purchased Dave's shop in May 1968. Dave then went to the West Coast match racing. When he got out there he could not compete with that motor so he went to Keith Black and bought a HEMI Blown and installed it in the Eldo. He got back to Evansville and they removed the front air deflector which ran behind the bottom of the grille to the base of the windshield. They went to a match race at Bluegrass Dragway, Lexington, Kentucky. That weekend is when disaster struck. Right after going through the lights the Eldo took off like an airplane. When it came down it barrel rolled violently. Dave passed away en route to the hospital. (Bobby Davis, e-mail to site administrator, Mar. 3, 2010)

March 8, 2010 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mel Bashore
Site Owner

The info I forwarded was sent to me by Camaro Costello from Evansville, Indiana. His family purchased Dave Zachary's Body Shop in the late 60's. Your website is very impressive! I can see you've put a lot of time and tears into it! I have a friend in Lexington who is currently doing more in depth research in Zachary's crash. He is putting together a program for an uncoming Bluegrass Dragway Reunion. I have no problem with including the info I forwarded into your site.

Thanks! Bobby D.

(Bobby Davis, e-mail to site administrator, March 4, 2010)

March 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.