Drag Strip Deaths

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Butch Hamel

Bucko
Site Owner

I appreciate your enthusiasm for drag racing and its drivers. One of those drivers was my uncle Butch Hamel from Ironwood, MI. I was only 5 when he died in a drag race at Ubley Speedway in Bad Axe, Michigan, on 7-4-65, but I do have memories of him and the aftermath. Therefore, I really appreciate your efforts to make mention of him. I have tried to find out about my uncle over the years, but my mom, Leonette, still can't talk about it.  In my search to find out what happened, I have been in touch with some wonderful people including the track announcer from the day of the crash and the owner of the track. Forty years after the incident, they recalled it like it was yesterday. Now 50 years later, you are kind and thoughtful enough to place my uncle's name into cyberspace and my family is grateful. He was just 26 years old when he died and absolutely loved racing. He was affiliated with Ford and Bobby Unser and, unfortunately, offered to drive a car he was unfamiliar with that day owned by Logghe Stamping in Frasier, Michigan. We all know what happened to him at that point, but to this day no one will talk about it from Logghe. Anyway, on behalf of my family we appreciate your appreciatipn for the sport and the consideration you have given Uncle Butch. It's nice to know that people who did not know him may someday view this memory on the Internet. [If anyone knew Butch, or witnessed his accident, please add your memories to this discussion. Site Administrator]  [Mike Mccormick, 12/10/2016]

--

Mel Bashore

December 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.