Drag Strip Deaths

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Pat Coyle

Bucko
Site Owner

I remember the Pat Coyle accident in 1975 like it was yesterday. The dragster lifted the front wheels hard at the line and he lifted. The front came down hard and he then hit it again and the nose again came up hard and the car was on one slick, rotated, landed on top of the guard rail inverted and slammed into the light pole. Flight for Life flew him to St. Anthony's, I think. The story was that a piece of the frame or steering impaled him. I also remember them using traction compound and those cars hooked up hard. I drive a FED today and use wheelie bars because of that accident. (Submitted by Steve McDuff, Jan. 18, 2016)

--

Mel Bashore

January 22, 2016 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bucko
Site Owner

My father, Bruce Hagestad, was racing Pat that day and I happened to be there as well. I was 8 years old and my father's crew: Jim Gibson, Howard Corwin and Don Cullen were on the scene first, as well as my mother; Janice Hagestad and myself. We were in the Chevy Crew Cab when they drove down the track to begin putting the fire out and assist Pat in whatever way possible. I was in the front seat, approximately 20 feet or less away and witnessed the entire efforts of trying to save Pat. When my mother wasn't trying to shield my eyes. Thank you for posting this and I still remember and think of Pat to this day. I will always remember him. (Submitted by Troy Hagestad, June 15, 1917)

--

Mel Bashore

June 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.